Monday 6 January 2014

From Job Hopper To Personal Support Worker

by Charlton Bowman – Guest Blogger
Hi, my name is Charlton. I’m a single guy living in Toronto. I’m 27 years old and I have probably worked in more jobs than anyone can count. I know I can’t count that high! Seriously, I once changed “careers” three times in less than a year– call center agent to receptionist to truck driver; I can never find a job that I am happy in.
I actually have a degree in business management, but I only put up with college since my dad wanted me to handle the family business. But I am still young and I really didn’t want to work in the same store for the rest of my life. There are a bunch of reasons why I move from one career to another. Believe it or not, the longest job I ever had was working as a pharmacy assistant for nearly a year.
Of course, it came to a point that I had to find a stable career that I would be happy in. When the
economy hit bottom I couldn’t afford to be picky anymore. I was considering going back to school to get a master’s degree. I was doing my research into that when I came across some information about becoming a personal support worker. I was really curious since there were a lot of ads offering personal support worker courses. So I read about personal support work and that gave me the idea of entering the healthcare industry instead. And why not? The health care industry is known to be very generous to their workers. Why not try my hand in this field as well!
Instead of getting a master’s degree, I enrolled in a personal support worker program. It took me twelve months to complete the whole course and after I graduated I was able to get a placement.
Believe it or not, I am now working as a personal support worker in one of the largest hospitals here in Toronto for two years now. I was recently promoted to a supervisory position. From constant job hopping, I finally found a job that is not only fun but life changing as well. I finally found what I have wanted to do with my life and that is to help and serve people who are in need of personal support help.

No comments:

Post a Comment