Thursday 16 January 2014

During Recession Former Office Worker Finds Career As Personal Support Worker

By Cynthia Herron

Like so many people today, Oliver Newhouse found his world turned upside down by the economic crisis.

“The company that I worked for 5 years was very much affected by the recent recession. They had to cut 50 jobs overnight and mine was one of them.” Oliver recalled sadly. “I was unemployed and I was sure I wouldn’t find suitable work given the current situation. I was aware that my company wasn’t the only one that had to resort to job cuts and I was sure I wouldn’t find work as an office assistant anytime soon.”

Oliver was desperate to find another suitable job, and he stumbled upon the possibility of working as a personal support worker in the healthcare industry.

“I was really intrigued by the possibilities of having a new career. I have a brother working in the healthcare industry so I asked him some questions about the possibilities of working as a personal support worker.”

Oliver thought that his brother has a great career working as an RN and figured probably any health related career might show some promise as well.

“My schedule was completely open so I pursued vocational training in personal support working. The course was not only personally rewarding but professionally as well. I knew that I was giving back something to my community. I get to help people in a way that I know how.”

It wasn’t Oliver’s original plan to work as a personal support worker but after finding personal support worker jobs, this new career gave him satisfaction that he never expected he could achieve again after losing his job as an office worker.

“Following my personal support certification, I can now say that I have never been happier with my new career as a personal support worker. It’s been three years now and I am now planning to make the down payment on my condo.”


So congratulations to Oliver and thank you so much for sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment