Monday 14 April 2014

Do Males Have a Harder Time Getting Hired as Personal Support Workers?

This is a question that I have been asked a few times in the last few months, due to the perception that personal support workers are predominantly female, and the job as a whole is perceived to be a “female position”.

From my perspective, in the workplace, there is a relatively high percentage of personal support workers, with the numbers I have noticed being as high as 25-30%.  Additionally, I have not heard any stories recently about males having a hard time getting hired as personal support workers.  Also, it is simply illegal for employers to discriminate in their hiring practices based on gender (although we know that this does occur).  The one piece of advice I would impart is that there are more candidates entering the field who are certified, so I would highly recommend that you complete an accredited course that has a good co-op component.  

No comments:

Post a Comment